Monday, September 14, 2009

Joseph Crenshaw - French and Indian War



The papers of his Commanding Officer state that Joseph died in a field near Fort Duquesne (now in the City of Pittsburg) on the night of 14 Sept 1758. A few days later his will was probated in the same courtroom which witnessed (summer of 1757) his swearing-in as a member of the Virginia Brigade. The certificate of his enlistment was with the other papers of his Commanding Officer and are now at the Library of Congress. His Commanding Officer was George Washington. It was not legal to draft Joseph into the British Colonial Army, so a court record exists to show that he was a volunteer and that record was found amid the papers of Washington along with the casualty list on which Joseph is first named. I uploaded a digital copy of this record and attached it to Joseph's record.

*****************************

Legal Records of Joseph Crenshaw:

Joseph Crenshaw, whose Will was entered into Probate October 4, 1758, was the same Joseph Crenshaw killed while serving under George Washington near Fort Duquesne in the French & Indian War. A recent finding in Virginia's Colonial Soldiers by Lloyd DeWitt Bockstruck has left this researcher convinced it was one and the same man. Bockstruck reports on page 136 a list of enlistments relating to the French & Indian War. Detailed are the names of five men who enlisted in Lunenberg Co, VA on 25 July 1757. That list includes Joseph Crenshaw. So we can deduct with confidence that the man killed while serving under Col. Washington on September 14, 1758 was the same Joseph Crenshaw who enlisted on 25 July 1757 and whose Will was entered into Probate in Lunenberg Co, VA on October 4, 1758.

Early Settlers Mecklenburg County Virginia Volume I, Compiled by Katherine B. Elliott, South Hill Virginia
1752 Tithe List
Crenshaw, Joseph (& Joseph Crenshaw Jr, James Downing)
Crenshaw, Gideon

Early Settlers Mecklenburg County Virginia Vol II, Compiled by Katherine B. Elliott, South Hill, Virginia
Joseph Crenshaw, Deed Book 4, p. 317
Joseph Crenshaw & Sarah, his wife, to Benjamin Cook...cons 40 pounds...300 acres on north side of Roanoke River and on south side of Butchers Creek. Wit: Fran Bressie, Richd Palmer, Zachariah Baker, Signed: Jos. Crenshaw, Sarah Crenshaw, dated 7 Sept 1756, Recorded 7 Sept 1756. Sarah, wife of Joseph Crenshaw, released her dower.

Lunenburg Co, VA Will Book 1, Page 228. Will. I, Joseph Crenshaw of L and Parish of Cumberland -
To my wife - the liberty of the Plantation during the time of her widowhood. To my eldest son William Crenshaw - 5 £ sterling.
To my son Gedion - 5 £.
To my son Joseph - 30 shillings.
To my daughter Prisilla Duke - 1 feather bed and furniture, being the bed that my son Micajah usually lies on.
To my daughter Hannah Parkman - 1 feather bed and covering, being the bed she now lies on, and 1 horse and side saddle. If said Hannah's husband shall come and entice her away, that which I have lent her, I give to my daughter, Mary Cook. And if the said Hannah is so enticed away, Hannah shall not have any part of my estate.
To my youngest son Micajah - the land whereon I now live, and if he should have no heirs, then to my son Joseph and the heirs of his body. I also give Micajah my young horse colt and saddle and all my wearing clothes. I want my son Micajah to live under the care of his brother Thomas. The rest of my estate is to be equally divided among them all [all the children], except that my son William is to have only as above mentioned. I do not want my estate appraised. To my son Micajah - 1 feather bed and covering.
Executors - my son[s] Thomas and Gedion.
Signed [Blank month and day], 1757 - Jos. Crenshaw.
Witnesses - Gedeon Crenshaw, William Wilkins (W his mark), Ann Wilson (+ her mark).

At Oct 4, 1758 Court, the will of the deceased was exhibited in Court by both executors, and the same was proved by the oaths of 2 of the witnesses, and ordered to be recorded. And on the motion of the said executors, who made oath, certificate is granted them for obtaining a probate of said will (they giving security), whereupon they, together [with] "Joseph Crenshaw Williams, Gentleman, their securities", entered into bond for that purpose.

Lunenburg Co, VA Will Book 1, Page 292. Account Current of the estate of Jos. Crenshaw, deceased. Debits. Includes payment of: William Crenshaw's legacy; Robert Langley, Merchant; David Garland; John Potter; John Bracy; Francis Bracy; Jeremia Claunch; John May; Fr's Wagstaff for ferriages; James Mitchel for ditto; Charles Cook; C. Read for tobacco; Thomas Anderson; Zach. Baker; Gideon Crenshaw's legacy; Jos. Crenshaw's legacy; Micajah Crenshaw's legacy; Hanah Bartman's legacy; Vallentine Mullins for selling the estate; returning the Works of Peace Land; Henry Parkman; Elisha Brooks; Hanah Satterwhite for weaving; Abner Nash for advice on the Will; Thomas Anderson for rum at the funeral; John Humphries; Maj'r Tabb; a bed etc delivered Robert Duk as a legacy; a bed etc delivered Hanah Parkman as a legacy; ditto delivered to Micajah Crenshaw as a ditto. Total: £ 46.10.4. Credits. Includes 1 Negro man, cash in Richd Wilson's hands, cash recd of John Noory, ditto of Richd Wilkins, ditto of Aony Erskine, ditto of Thos. Akin, ditto of ColoErby. Total: £ 79.6.6½. We have examined the accts of Thos. and Gideon Crenshaw, executors of Joseph Crenshaw, deceased, and do find a balance in the executors' hands of £ 27.5.11. Certified [blank month and day], 1759 - Richd Witton, Jos Williams.Recorded Feb 5, 1760

3 comments:

  1. I am very interested in the information you have included here. I am a direct descendant of Joseph Crenshaw and have often wondered why he volunteered to fight in the French and Indian War, considering his advanced age of 60.

    You reference the following "Bockstruck reports on page 136 a list of enlistments relating to the French & Indian War. Detailed are the names of five men who enlisted in Lunenberg Co, VA on 25 July 1757. That list includes Joseph Crenshaw."

    I am very interested in who the other 4 gentlemen who signed up on the same day as Joseph. Do you still have access to this book? If so, I'd greatly appreciate if you could provide me with the names.

    My email is bcarll@lakenona.com.

    Kindest regards,
    Belinda Crenshaw Carll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool stuff. I am also a descendant of Joseph Crenshaw. I was just wondering where you got the photo of the actual document. My email address is jordanmcrenshaw@gmail.com

    Jordan Crenshaw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Around the same time that I learned my connection to Joseph Crenshaw, I saw an online notice that George Washington's papers were available online through the Library of Congress. On a whim I thought I would give it a look. Imagine how pleased I was when Joseph's enlistment papers were available.

    ReplyDelete