Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Mabel's Wedding

Wedding's are never forgotten. Everyone hopes for a special day when everything goes just as planned. Great attention is paid to flowers, dresses,food, seating. Nothing is too small to deserve consideration.

Sometimes a little detail causes the event to become memorable in an unexpected way. It is important to remember it isn't the wedding "event" that is important. It is the marriage that follows.

Enjoy the letter. Happy Valentines to all I love!


City of Manchester
J H Ables, Clerk and Treasurer



Jany 6-1920.

Mr. H.E.Bulloch,
Bullochville, Ga.

Dear Mr. Bulloch:-

Mr. I.N.Johnson told me to day that you all were disappointed that you did not have the lights on at Miss Mabel’s wedding yestoday. And I am taking this means to let you know how much I regret that you were so disappointed. In the first place Mr. Johnsons information is the first I have had that you wanted lights. And I have tried to find out who answered the phone when the call for lights came in. We are getting our lights in the day time from the Cotton mill which is only until twelve oclock as the mill shuts down at that time and the light plant starts up about three thirty or four oclock owing to whether it is cloudy or sunny. This would require a notice of an hour to raise steam to run after twelve or clock – I would have been glad to have done this had I known the circumstances. I remember a call a few mornings ago from you asking for lights and although it is our custom to refer people from Bullochville to Mr. Butts I was glad to put them on at your request. And I assure you that my regard for you – together with our love for Miss Mabel and Mr. Harry would been a pleasure to do any thing to honor them. Please express my regrets to the family and all concerned And as stated at first this is my first knowledge of the request. Any time I can serve you –or any of your family you know I am ready.

Yours very truly,
L.E.Hudson.

(I love the way this letter is put together. It was typed in one very long paragraph. I used original punctuation and spelling, but can not achieve the original format or the typing variations. The blogspot software forces all lines to the left; so you can't see the creative indentation Mr Hudson used in the heading.

By the way H.E. Bullock is Mabel's brother. Her father, Cyprian, passed away when she was nine.)

2 comments: