Sunday, September 22, 2013

1925 letter regarding family history


 

 
While visiting with my family, I scanned this fascinating letter written to my grandmother Mabel.  The first two pages (top) update current family news.  Most of the subject is regarding illness in the community and extended family.  There must additional page/s because the document is unsigned. The unnamed writer discusses her hens.  The  writer is a daughter of Jesse Hood Bulloch which makes her Mabel's cousin. I believe "Aunt Julia" was my great grandmother & Mabel's mother, Julia C Parkman Bulloch.
 
This letter appears to be a response to a request for information.  This was about the same time that Mabel and Ida Mae were gathering information for a family history.  Mabel hired a genealogist to search courthouse records.
 
While the letter was written in 1925, the information dates back to the early 1800's when Cyprian's father was brought to live with his grandparents The Robinson's.  From this letter we don't know if her source of information was a family bible, tradition, a journal, stories shared from older family members,whatever.  I have been able to document the information from other sources.
 
This letter brings our family history to life. My grandmother, 88 years ago, knew aunts, uncles who lived, shared stories and experiences with family whose lives intersected hers.  The joys and sadness, the wars and depressions, the success and failures, their values impact us in a myriad of subtle ways. Their experiences shaped Mabel, my mother  and through me, my children and grandchildren. 
 
It also confirms very subtle way, conclusions I reached regarding Serena Parkman.  But I will write about that another day.
 
What can I say .... write it down, save information, organize your records.  Find out who you are, where your roots are.   It is fascinating.

1 comment: