Friday, July 5, 2019

Joy in our lives

Do you have favorite memories that are of no particular significance - except to you?

I think we all do.  Simple moments in time when you were alone in your thoughts, when you observed a kindness or experienced one.  These moments happen alone, with family or friends or strangers in crowds, early in the morning or late at night.  Many are treasures stored away through decades of a long life or spontaneously recalled because of a visual or spoken cue.

This morning we had a church lesson about finding joy in our lives.  As others listed broad topics of joy, my mind had a series of micro moment of joy from my life.  I thought I would record a few.

Throughout childhood we enjoyed riding bikes.  Children experience a sense of freedom and independence that accompanies the ability to move outside of their immediate boundaries.  It was a hot summer day. For whatever reason Gaye and Susan and Edie Caldwell and I had been exploring the street behind our homes. Most of the property was undeveloped.  There were a few homes, a creek, a large saw dust pile, and freedom.

Whether it was just time to be home or we heard thunder, we started home on our bikes. There were lots of giggles and laughter as we raced each other across the field.  Behind us we could see a slow moving curtain of rain.  We were trying to get home before we were soaked.  But it was hot and the rain felt so good.  I remember riding my bike back and forth into the rain and out of the rain.  Back and forth - laughing and relishing the moment. Pure joy!

::::::::::::::::
Once I was driving in the mountains of North Carolina.  At that moment there were no cars in sight. Autumn was in full color! The leaves were brilliant Reds, Orange, Gold. If you have ever seen an oil painting on black velvet when the color seem much to bright, that was truly the color.

As I rounded a curve a beautiful meadow was directly in front of me. A large tree covered in bright yellow leaves stood alone in the center. Suddenly a large gust of wind hit the tree blowing the leaves around the way a child blows a dandelion.

Georgeous!  Just stunning. I can see it in my mind as if I just experienced it.  Joy! Real Joy!

:::::::
Seeing one of my sons or my daughter delight in their child's laughter.  Yes that is joy..

No comments:

Post a Comment