Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Uncle Henry




When I was a little girl, I thought my uncle Henry was so handsome. He was.

This is a photo from his University of Georgia yearbook. I forgot to record what year it was for - I believe he was a Junior. The picture was in a section that showed his fraternity.

Several of my favorite childhood photos were taken by him when he worked for a school photo company. Gaye and I had individual and combined school photos when she was still tiny. I will scan and add her picture too.


Even though most memories of Uncle Henry revolve around holiday dinners, my first big memory was going to the train station in Atlanta to pick up my father when he returned home from Okinawa. Probably it was easier for a tall man to keep up with an excited three year old girl by putting me on his shoulders; so he did. Like most children I loved the attention as we walked through the crowd.

Mother insists I thought anyone in uniform must be my dad. I am certain that "I" was the first to spot him in a crowd of uniformed soldiers. I certainly had a bird's eye view of the crowd; but perhaps Daddy saw me first.

After Uncle Henry served in the navy, he went on to have a successful career. He was the President of the Retail Credit Bureau of Georgia. He and Aunt Sue are still a wonderful couple with a wonderful family. Mike, Greg and Steve are their three sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment